We are using this blog to improve and maintain contact between pilots of light aircraft in the Lower Mainland and surrounding area's

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Nimpkish Lake and the missing cap




Another day cruise up past Nootka Island, dragged the wheels through the sand on Catala Island but with the surging surf and only an hour to high tide, the landable strip was getting narrower all the time, so I didn't come to a full stop.  Instead I whipped over to an "easy" landing on a river sandbar at Nimpkish Lake.  Brought a wet suit and lunch and windsurfed all afternoon (the board and sail was already there).

Jugged in some gas thinking I might make it all the way to CZBB, but some time after takeoff I checked the fuel gauges and saw that my left tank was empty and my right tank was now completely full.  Either an incorrectly closed gas cap or no gas cap at all.  With no good place to crash I crossed my fingers and toes and flew 40 minutes to the nearest airport which was Campbell River.  No gas cap on the right wing tank.  As prescience would have it, in my "worst case scenario" box I keep in the back I had a spare gas cap.  Pumped in a little more gas, since by now the unbalance looked unnerving, and an uneventful hour later I was back in CZBB.  

No comments: